Research shows that 40% of men are not comfortable talking to their doctors about erectile dysfunction1. This can prevent men from getting the medical help they need.
A new website, getroman.com, is addressing this problem by allowing men to go through an online interview process with a licensed doctor, and get a prescription for an oral ED medication. The prescription can be filled online, through the Roman website, or sent to a local pharmacy.
In order to legally provide this service, the company needs to follow specific regulations and obtain a license in each state where they operate. They are currently available in 45 states (all except Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, North Dakota and South Dakota).
In addition to ED medications, the company has recently expanded their offerings to include medications for hair loss, premature ejaculation, cold sores, genital herpes, and even programs to stop smoking.
Signing Up at Roman
When you sign up at Roman, you’ll fill out a comprehensive online visit to be reviewed by a doctor licensed in your state within 24 hours. There is a $15 online visit fee which is cheaper than most co-pays. If your doctor has questions or your state requires it, a follow-up phone or video call may be required.
Be prepared with the following information:
- Approximate date of your most recent physical exam
- Approximate date of your most recent blood test, if any
- Your blood pressure (many pharmacies have free blood pressure testing)
- A list of the prescription medications you are currently taking
You’ll be asked to send a photo of yourself, as well as a photo of a government issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license or military ID.
If the doctor deems it safe and appropriate, they will issue a prescription and your first order of medication will automatically ship out with free 2-day shipping.
Even after obtaining your medication from Roman, if you have additional questions or concerns, you can send a message to your assigned doctor through the Roman site. It is always free to follow up with your physician and if you don’t get the results you’re looking for, your physician can update your prescription to a different dose or medication.
Oral Medications for Erectile Dysfunction
Oral medications PDE 5 inhibitors – are considered the “first line” treatment for erectile dysfunction, and they are effective for most men. Roman currently sells:
- Sildenafil (the generic equivalent of Viagra)
- Tadalfil (the generic equivalent of Cialis)
Roman ships to you in an unmarked carton. Once you open the carton, the packaging is quite elegant. The box folds out to reveal an information and safety pamphlet, and the medication. The pills are packaged in individual doses, in discrete envelopes.
When taking prescription medications, always read and follow the instructions provided, as well as any instructions from your doctor.
(See our article “Buying Medications Online.”)
Can You Trust Roman?
Many people are wary of online pharmacies, for good reason. ED medications are among the most commonly counterfeited, and many online stores have been charged with shipping fraudulently labelled or fake drugs. According to the World Health Organization, more than 50 percent of drugs sold online are counterfeit – and this figure may be as high as 80% for ED medications. (See our article “Oral Medications for Erectile Dysfunction.”)
Here is what makes Roman different from other online pharmacies:
- The company has also had to obtain permission to offer their “teledoctor” program in each state where they operate.
- Roman is a venture-funded company; they have raised over $91 million from investors. That means that the company has been subjected to extensive checks, and ongoing monitoring by investors.
- All of the company’s doctors are licensed in their states, and every doctor undergoes a background check and licensing verification. You can see the credentials of the doctor assigned to your telemedicine interview.
- Roman purchases all of their medication from Verified-Accredited Wholesale Distributors (VAWD). A VAWD seal means that the drug wholesaler was rigorously reviewed by the highest national accrediting body in the US, the NABP, and all of its medication come from legitimate FDA approved sources.
- The company complies with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) requirements to safeguard your privacy.
- The getroman.com website has been reviewed and certified by LegitScript to insure that it meets standards for legality, safety and transparency.
Roman already has some competition: Hims and BlinkHealth both offer a similar mix of products and services. Another company, Keeps, offers hair loss treatments, but does not yet offer ED medications.
Still other companies offer home test kits for testosterone levels and for male fertility.
It’s clear that many new and innovative companies are entering the market for men’s health products – and the competition will benefit everyone.
I have personally used Roman, and I was very impressed with their service, their products, and their pricing. The signup process and medical consultation were quick and easy, and the interface allows me to easily track my orders and change them at any time.
I’ve used them for over a year, and never had any problems.
I highly recommend Roman!
President, ED Treatment Information Center
See our YouTube review: Get Roman for Ed Medications
- “Comprehensive Study on the Impact of Erectile Dysfunction.” ED Treatment Information Center. Mar 2018. <https://edtreatment.info/ed-impact-study/>